Candle Care - Tips for Burning Wood Wicks
Follow these helpful tips for burning your new wooden wick candle. Wood wicks are a bit different from a traditional cotton wick. They burn longer and have a cozy crackling ambiance but they do require a bit of extra care. Our goal is for you to love your unique candle then repurpose your vessel as home decor to enjoy for many years to come.
This might sound obvious, but it is worth repeating: always use extreme care when burning candles. Make sure you do not leave them burning unattended, and make sure there is nothing nearby that could ignite.
- 1st Use - When you light your wood wick for the first time, monitor the flame. If you feel like your flame is too high, extinguish the flame, let cool, and recheck your wick to make sure it is only 1/8" and away from drafts. If you are having difficulty lighting the wick, make sure the wick is short...the shorter the better where wood wicks are concerned. Sometimes it takes several attempts to light. Try lighting from the base of the wood wick versus the top where it may burn out easier.
- Break off charred tips with wick trimmer, clippers, or fingers and discard before each burn.
- Burn Candle for only 3-4 hours at a time and always within sight.
- If your candle won’t stay lit because it is “drowning” in a wax pool, extinguish the flame and try using a paper towel or napkin to soak up some of the excess wax. Wait for a minute or so, relight your candle, and repeat until your wick has room to breathe.
- Extinguish immediately if you ever notice your glass is hot to the touch or flame too close to the vessel.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Never burn candle near anything that can catch fire.
- Burn on a stable and heat resistant surface...not on a heat-absorbing surface such as glass or marble.
- Follow the 1/2" rule. Do not burn your candle all the way down. Discontinue burning when 1/2" of wax remains in container to give a margin of safety and prevent glass breakage.