frequently asked questions
❋ Soy wax is a natural, renewable resource.
❋ Soy wax is biodegradable and cleans up with plain old soap and water.
❋ Soy wax has a lower melting point than paraffin wax and because of this, soy candles will burn slower or longer than paraffin candles.
❋ Soy wax burns with zero petro soot, creating petro soot free candles. Paraffin candles burn with petro-soot.
❋ Burn candles in a well-ventilated room.
❋ Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
❋ Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
❋ Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains (1/2 inch if in a container).
❋ Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.
❋ Always keep the candle within your sight. If you are going to leave the room, be sure to first blow out all candles.
❋ Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room. Don’t burn too many candles in a small room or in a “tight” home where air exchange is limited.
❋ Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
❋ Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
❋ Never use water to extinguish a candle. Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.
❋ Make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
❋ Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.
❋ Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.
Soy wax washes off RetroWix containers with good ole soap and warm water. Remove excess wax carefully and throw away. It should break apart easily. Once you have removed as much wax as possible, fill a sink or basin with warm soap and water and let container soak. If the wick is still adhered, use hot tap water to help loosen the glue dot that is adhered to the bottom of wick. Carefully remove using an object to gently lift the metal bottom of the wick.
Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use. (Trust me...I've done this) My preferred tool to remove wax is a chopstick. This is safe and minimizes scratches.
If your wick is still giving you problems, repeat the process above. Please make sure you are careful not to get soy wax in your plumbing. It will still harden and can cause problems.